Thursday, July 23, 2009

Health care and thinking out loud

I am not a doctor so I would never dream of making this assertion sound anything like official. I have noticed that the cases of swine flu or H1N1 virus are skyrocketing in other countries, but the cases in the United States are not skyrocketing. A recent story says the number of cases in Britain has doubled in a week with 100,000 new cases in a week. Given that England is much smaller than the United States and the total number as of July 17 (figures released every Friday) was 40,617 in the US what explains this?

Once again I can't say with any certainty that my theory is correct, but I wonder if the fact that in our country availability of health care is almost universal (although not insurance) but in European countries health care insurance is universal but not access to care. Whether you are insured or not you can see a doctor here. That is not the case in socialized medicine countries.

Just thinking out loud. Maybe someone should consider this before we make our health care system like theirs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home