Friday, May 26, 2006

Are we allowed to be wrong?

I have a love hate relationship with Politics. I have said that before. I also have a love hate relationship with prosperity.

We as Americans love our toys. I love my laptop, and I love my DVR. I love the free market that allows us to develop and have these toys.

I believe that products that are not dangerous, or fraudulent should be legal. I would never want a lot of the products that we see on infomercials. They should be allowed to be sold to those who would.

Does the same freedom exist for ideas? Should it exist for ideas?

I saw an email forwarded to me comparing GW Bush to Hitler for about the 9 millionth time. Do we have a right to make that comparison? Constitutionally we do and should. The question is do we have the right morally to? I think not. Along those lines I don't think we as conservative have the moral right to make similar comparisons of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Why might you ask? We destroy the language, we destroy our civility, we destroy our ability to converse as civilized people. To make this comparison about any political leader, is to ignore all of the evil that Hitler did. It brings evil down to a level of dislike. Evil is what it is. I can think of no leader in our country that I can call evil. I can however think of many I disagree with vehemently. To associate them with evil is to bring evil down to a common place level.

If all it takes to be evil is to be wrong in someone's eyes, any of us can be called evil. If I punish my child severely, and find out later I was wrong, am I evil? I may risk ending the love my child feels for me, but I am not evil. People are not always correct. If a teacher fails a student and discovers they were incorrect in the grading of a paper, they are not evil. There are certainly consequences of their actions, but that is not evil.

We must as Americans reserve terms like evil, terrorist, etc. for true examples of these words. When people compare leaders to truly evil, when they use the word terrorist in describing a leader, they blatantly tear down the language. I read a lot of these errors in these blogs on this site. Here is a start. I think Atheist Mike Newdow is wrong. I think he does not represent the best interests of his family not the country. I think Howard Dean is wrong about just about everything he speaks of. I think Scientists who degrade religiosity as mythology are wrong and a bit arrogant. That does not make them evil. Saddam Hussein is evil. Hitler was evil. Osama bin Laden is evil. He may believe in his behavior, but he is still evil. See the difference? Lets preserve the language, and maybe have some discussion on the points we disagree on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

that was great. I wish more people would see this and grasp the concept. I didn't like Clinton or his behavior, but I didn't think he was evil, just weak.

I never have a problem with people when they portray Bush as weakminded either, I just think they're pandering to their own preconceived notions.....so pretty much I think Dems are weak I guess....

12:58 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

I read through several of your blogs and really enjoy what you have to say. I will definitely keep reading as you post more. Keep it up.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home