Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Death of Consequences

Miss America Tara Conner is a party girl. Even though the pageant rules explicitly ask each contestant to sign agreements about behavior she continued to be a party girl. She says she has a problem and has agreed to go to rehab.

Only Miss Conner knows if she is an alcoholic. She has been on the beauty pageant circuit since she was 4. Donald Trump is giving her a second chance. I truly hope that she takes advantage of it. I am not sure the second chance is the best thing for her recovery.

Her tears will inspire sympathy. I am among them. I think she will have a tougher time getting sympathy from adults that have paid dear prices for overindulging. Many people have lost jobs for getting a DUI. Men and women have lost families for Addictions. People have lost everything to gambling. These people may have a hard time shedding a tear for the young girl who has been given everything and now is getting 'off the hook' again. Her path for the rest of her term will not be easy but I fear her life after that may be harder.

I have known a few alcoholics. I am not personally one. The people I have known that have been successful in recover will put their recovery above all else. They are usually driven to this by dire consequences. Some it is legal trouble, some family trouble. Twelve step programs only help when you hit your bottom. My fear is that Mr. Trump while well meaning has prevented Miss Conner from hitting her bottom. He gave her a way out of her troubles. Her road is still difficult as she still has to maintain her behavior after she leaves rehab. That may be easier when she has an entourage with her. After her service is done, and it is just her and her demons can she still maintain recover? Let us hope so. I think that depends on her commitment to recovery. If she has hit bottom she might make it.

I can tell you of another twelve step program that I have found to be less effective. Over eaters Anonymous. I attended this for a while and was not successful. It is based on the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. Many people have been successful in this eating version but many also are not. I believe, and can only speak for myself here, but I believe with overeating it is harder to hit bottom Unless you are looking at death through Bulimia, or heart disease, or diabetes it is hard to bring overeating to the level of a drug or alcohol addiction. What was and is missing in my life is consequences. There has to be a very negative consequence to the next binge. Health concerns for most people are too long term. Health problems come very slowly. When they come they come quicker and sadly then it is often too late. I tell of this too explain why I believe it is important for Miss Conner to truly hit bottom. I pray she is there and will embrace the gift she has been given. Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home