Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Smoking Nazi's

In the interest of credibility and full disclosure let me say I do not smoke and despise being around cigarette smoke. I don't mind the smell of a cigar although I don't smoke them either.

In Ohio last month we passed one of the most restrictive anti-smoking laws in the country. Ohio has done some silly things but this is the most galactically stupid one in ages. I do not oppose this for the sake of smokers. I oppose this for the right of free association and the freedom for business owners to decide who they will allow to do what in their establishments. One of the main arguments used was for the health of the employees. Second hand smoke is dangerous they tell us. Keep in mind I know of no scientific study that has ever attributed a death to second hand smoke. Given this argument I believe now we will have to ban welding, asbestos removal workers and just about every factory worker. All of these jobs entail danger to the employees health. The take these jobs voluntarily just as restaurant workers do. Employment is a voluntary action.

I would love to own a restaurant just over the Ohio border in either Michigan or Pennsylvania. I would have just been handed my next advertising campaign. Come to my bar, I will let you smoke.

While I believe the slippery slope argument is over used, it applies here. The smoking Nazis have been pushing the envelope for too long. Now the fat police and the obesity police are using the same tactics. New York city has banned trans-fats. I'm sure more will follow. The fact is that if you are a social do-gooder all you have to do is put enough money into advertising to convince people that your issue is the next substance that will bring ruin to our world, put a measure on the ballot and you too can impose a ban.

To quote 'Men in Black', a person is smart, but people are stupid. People don't think through issues, and as long as it is not their ox being gored, go ahead and punish the other guy. Freedom is important. I hate the idea of defending freedom with something as appalling as cigarettes, but it has to be done. Speaking of voters, the good voters of New Orleans re-elected a Congressman in the person of William Jefferson who was caught with $90,000 in his freezer. These two actions are making me much less confident in the voters of America, but let me reinforce strongly even though I disagree with the actions, we must maintain the power of votes. We must maintain some self restraint and be more aware of the consequences. We have ceded much power to judges we must hold onto what liberty we still have.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your blog for the first time. So far I agree with everything I have read. Keep up the good work

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home